Monday, March 14, 2011

Comfort Zones

I had a pretty productive weekend. Saturday Kate and I spent the whole day in a Child Birthing class. This class was awesome, I learned that I(birthing coach) have a large roll to play in the birthing process. Whenever you watch a movie or a T.V. show, it shows the husband in a character of a weak knee'd chump who doesn't either want to be bothered with the process or is passing out from the blood. This couldn't be further from the truth. I learned that I will be a huge influence on Kates' state of mind throughout the entire labor. Assisting to keep her calm and comfortable. I can't wait for this day to come. Society has found a way to make sex casual but there is no way of making this experience casual. This is THE ultimate bonding experience between two people who love each other. That or she will yell at me the whole time blaming me for putting her through all that pain. Will keep you posted on the results.


Now let's talk Perry Lake race 2

I had a better race this week. I still finished way back, but I feel like I accomplished more in this race than in the first. For example in the first race I was dropped on the climb at the end of the first lap and spent 3 laps all by my lonesome. Race #2 I managed to stay with the pack for 2 and a half laps. Yes that meant that I had to stay with the pack after 2, yes count them, 2 complete climbs. This race had 5 laps and so I only spent 2.5 laps out of the protection of the peleton. 



       The picture above is proof of me still with the peleton nearing the end of the climb on the first lap. I am in the back but staying right there with them.


I felt much stronger this week but I also had the confidence to push myself further out of my comfort zones. I made myself hurt. Not a bad hurt, but a good I am accomplishing something hurt. Cycling is not only about fitness but I truly believe it is about our individual pain tolerance thresholds. Some people have the confidence to get closer to the edge and sustain it longer than others, they can bare the pain and look past it knowing that no matter how much it hurts, they aren't going to remember the pain once the goal they are trying to accomplish is completed. This is one of the many reasons why I ride and race bicycles, for the learning experiences that you can only come accross when you are pushing yourself out of your comfort zone.

4 comments:

  1. I think every couple who are expecting should have a birthing class. With my first child my husband and I took the class, and I was all prepared for his assistance, however, when that time came, i just wanted to be left alone. When it was time to give birth to me second child I was in GA, and his father was here in MO. I had a great friend with me, but once again, I just wanted to work through the contractions myself. Kate is very lucky to have such a supportive person in her life! I wish you the best, and hope that the labor goes smoothly for her, and I hope you don't come out of it with a black eye! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bro....Awesome Blogs...The Unity yall have is untouchable....The picture in Race. Great Job Brutha....I know You were Grunting....

    Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Job, keep pushing yourself. What type of Birthing classes are you taking. We did the Bradley method and it was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Holly-Thanks Holly, I will wear a boxing helmet.
    @Chuck- Glad you are enjoying reading them.
    @Ty- We did one class that was offered through St. Lukes hospital. It was a one day 6 hour class that taught us everything to expect the day of.

    ReplyDelete