Wednesday, March 9, 2011

My first post


I recieved this "onesie" from a friend of mine today, I already know that it is going to be Lucy's favorite outfit when she is born.


First race of the road season and my 4th road race ever. I was planning on going to Spring Fling on Saturday to race in the mens Cat 5 35+ but was talked out of it by Britton. He said that racing a 7 mile crit was not going to do me any good and that I should do the Perry Road Race. Perry Lake is located 12 miles NW of Lawrence Kansas, home of the Jayhawks. I packed up the car and invited two other fellow team mates to join me on the hour drive from Kansas City. The temps were at about 25 degrees when I raced at 10:00am but once your adrenaline starts going you no longer notice the cold. I wasn't alone in this race as Andrew L., Casey Buta, and Quiet Brian were all in. All three of these guys are new to racing but their abilities are far better than mine. The first lap started on a down hill for about 1/4 of mile and then it opened up to a mile or so trek accross a dam. Pretty strong cross wind on top of that dam of which I would suffer alone later in the race.The peleton was moving relatively slow with a lot of breaking. I don't understand why this happens so much in the 5's, perhaps it is do to the inexperience of some of the riders. I felt pretty good and was right there next to Andrew L. until we reached the climb for the first time. I would say I was in the front 1/3 of the peleton when we hit the climb and by the time we hit the middle of the climb I was 7 guys from the back. I climb as well as a rock does. We had to do this climb 4 times and so you can imagine just how well I did. I finished 44th out of 50. Lots of room for improvement. Casey Buta went on to finish 3rd and win King of the mountain for the day. For those of you who don't know what King of the Mountain is, in this race at any given time they will ring the bell when crossing the finish line and the first person to climb the hill in that lap is K.O.M. The cool thing is that this is a race series and Casey has to defend his title for three more races.

3 comments:

  1. Tell Britton he's full of it. Yes, its true that spring fling is not as intense as perry, or a long, or the same level of training, but you can still learn a thing or two by racing those flat crits. At least half the crits you race are going to be flat or flatish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You joined Blog World! Nice read, James.

    ReplyDelete